Saturday, October 3, 2009

Textures of Kalgoorlie

So now that I am back on familiar grounds with a watery edge to orientate myself, I've had a chance to look back at the collection of images taken during my visit. Here are some snapshots of my visit:

Boulder town hall, home of the famous Goatcher Curtain. A painted stage curtain to complete the "picture-frame" stage. Painted by Philip Goatcher in 1908, in a trompe l'oeil style of a Neopolitan scene with Mount Vesuvius in the background. Read more about it here.


And more interesting to me were the chairs in the dress circle.



Kalgoorlie and Boulder had the most lovely stone used in their buildings. My photography skills really failed to bring any of the colour and the red vein alive. So sorry!


I also saw some really sad examples of how some stone buildings were painted over and had their mortar joints repaired with cement rich mortar. For those who aren't sure why this is bad, let me explain. Painting stone is a big NO-NO. It stops the stones from breathing and causes major damp issues. Stone needs to be allowed to dry out. Acrylic paint basically plastic coats the stone and traps the water that rises into the stonewall from the ground (if the damp proof course has been breached). The image below is of some repair work that was done using cement rich mortar. Cement rich mortar is really hard and will eventually eat away at the stone that it is in contact with. The basic rule is that mortar must always be softer than the stone/block. This wall isn't going to survive for very long. The best thing here is to chip the cement mortar away and mix and use a lime-sand mortar instead. (preferably using local sand, in this case, beautiful RED sand).


Oh and finally, a shot of the little lane way of Barista 202. We did finally get a chance to have lunch there and the food was basic. The odd thing was, I had my apple juice served in a Styrofoam cup. As you may have noticed, it is a pretty funky little space, complete with artwork by local artist for sale. Lovely, I would go again for the atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin