Monday, May 31, 2010

Extraordinary mondays - Breaksea Island

If you haven't noticed, I've been rather irregular with my updates. As you would probably have guessed it, life is sure busy right now. Work particular sucks me dry. But you know why I love my job so much? Well...in the last two days, I got to go on a boat, a plane and a helicopter, all to access places that not many people can go to. I feel special to say the least. I thought I'd share with you what I experienced on Friday.

On Friday, I flew down to Albany, jumped on a helicopter and flew to an island in King George Sound known as Breaksea Island. Its current inhabitants are mainly birds, a few penguins, a seal colony, an infestation of rabbits and a small group of stone masons, builders and carpenters. There is a total of 7 structures on the island: two lighthouses two cottages, two outbuildings, one jetty. The original lighthouse on Breaksea Island was built in 1858 to improve navigation into the harbour of Albany. Another lighthouse was built in 1902 which you will see in the photos to below. On the island there are two cottages which were built in 1902 and 1908. The 1858 lighthouse and its associated keeper's quarters are currently in poor condition. So were the cottages but you will see that they have been slowly conserved.

The island is beautiful. The buildings sit within this picturesque setting that speaks to you of the early rugged colonial life in what would have seem to be the most isolated landscape in the ocean. Anyway, I'll shut up now and let my pictures speak:















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin