Monday, June 16, 2008

Extraordinary Monday - blistery Perth

Today was a particularly blistery day and on days like these, I like to remind myself of the things I love about this city. Oh of course I do love its white sandy beaches and the 300 odd days of sunshine. But there are two things I love about this city: its BIG BIG skies and the feeling that this city is teethering on the edge of something great and exciting.

There is a certain feeling of anticipation in the air. The skyline of the city is changing. I last counted, as I drove by the South Perth foreshore looking back towards the city, about 30 cranes over construction sites in the city skyline. We're not talking about a metropolis here. We're talking about good old Perth in far away Western Australia. Our CBD centres on one main street and that street isn't very long at all! To have that many cranes in the city skyline is exciting. In 5 years, the skyline would be transformed!

South Perth Foreshore looking back to the city skyline

There is also an agitation for change in other areas of life in Perth. One of the big agents of change is FORM. A not-for-profit organisation that is pushing for a cultural paradigm shift in the people of Perth.

It's all so exciting. I want to be able to say I was there, in and amongst it all, when Perth grows out of its ugly duckling stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin